Is membership a requirement to be a Christian?
Is membership a requirement to be a Christian? NO! The Bible is clear on the fact that it is your faith in Christ alone that qualifies you to be a Christian, “…by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast,” (Eph. 2:8-9). However, the concept of membership does exist within the scriptures.
When anyone enters into a relationship with God by grace from faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ, they are entering into two covenants. The first is to journey with God for the rest of their lives and love him fully (The Great Commandment, Mark 12:29-31). The second is to journey with His other people in the community of the local church and participate with the Christian church at large. Your membership in a church is an official recognition of this, and the purpose of the Elevation Church Membership Covenant is to:
- Join with the Holy Spirit in forming an authentic church community that reflects the relationship between the Father, Son, and Spirit.
- Utilize your divine spiritual gift(s) for the edification of the body of Christ, His church.
- Encourage consistency, accountability, and loving unity within the Church family.
- Accomplish God’s call for the Elevation Church family.
- Break the bonds of being only a consumer of the church, a mentality that runs rampant in our culture.
Evidence of a public recognized local membership in the scriptures:
- A numerical record was kept (Acts 2:37-47)
- Records were kept of widows (1 Timothy 5:3-16)
- When people moved to another city and church, letters were sent to encourage the new church to welcome the member. (Acts 18:27, Romans 16:1-2, 2Corinthians 8:23-24)
- Leaders were chosen from among a known group (Acts 6:1-6)
- Discipline was carried out (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1)
- Elders will be held accountable for members (Hebrews 13:17)
- There was an awareness of who was a church member (Romans 16:1-16)
So what is the process? IT'S Simple!
1. Attend a Membership Class
Each quarter, we offer a membership class that to give Elevation attendees the opportunity to find out who we are and what we are about. At the end of the class, you will have the opportunity to become a member.
2. Review & Sign Our Membership Covenant.
You will receive a copy of our Membership Covenant during Base Camp and will be given the opportunity during or following the event to review and sign it.